The general objectives of the Europe for citizens Programme are to contribute to:
- Giving citizens the opportunity to interact and participate in constructing an ever closer Europe, which is democratic and world-oriented, united in and enriched through its cultural diversity, thus developing citizenship of the European Union;
- Developing a sense of European identity, based on common values,history and culture;
- Fostering a sense of ownership of the European Union among its citizens;
- Enhancing tolerance and mutual understanding between European citizens respecting and promoting cultural and linguistic diversity, while contributing to intercultural dialogue.
The Programme has the following specific objectives, which shall be implemented on a transnational basis:
- Bringing together people from local communities across Europe to share and exchange experiences, opinions and values, to learn from history and to build for the future;
- Fostering action, debate and reflection related to European citizenship and democracy, shared values, common history and culture through cooperation within civil society organisations at European level;;
- Bringing Europe closer to its citizens by promoting Europe's values and achievements, while preserving the memory of its past;
- Encouraging interaction between citizens and civil society organisations from all participating countries, contributing to intercultural dialogue and bringing to the fore both Europe's diversity and unity, with particular attention to activities aimed at developing closer ties between citizens from Member States of the European Union as constituted on 30 April 2004 and those from Member States which have acceded since that date.